Info for Parents/Carers
Your son/daughter/ward has been nominated to take part in Realising Opportunities: an innovative programme enabling them to have increased access to some of the country’s leading universities through a range of activities.
The programme aims to offer students the opportunity to:
- participate in aspiration raising and enrichment activities, increasing their ability to apply and gain entry to leading universities in the country
- make informed choices about their higher education options and learn more about the benefits of studying at a world class university
- develop the skills required to be successful in a research intensive university such as independent thought and analytical and research skills
- enhance their application to leading universities in an increasingly competitive environment
- access information, advice and guidance to increase their awareness of employment opportunities within some of the country’s top professions.
To complete the Realising Opportunities programme, students will:
- attend a Local Launch event at the university which recruited them (their host university)
- take part in the ementoring programme
- complete an online study skills module
- attend the National Student Conference, where the students will meet their ementor
- complete either the Extended Project Qualification or the Realising Opportunities Academic Assignment
- attend events and activities at RO universities
Ementoring involves Realising Opportunities students being linked with an undergraduate student mentor from one of the RO universities and following a programme which is designed to boost their confidence regarding their application to higher education and their ability to study at a research intensive university; give information and advice at relevant times in their current studies, for example revision tips and exam technique information; provide practical information about becoming a university student and support the other elements of Realising Opportunities including the online study skills and assignment.
Realising Opportunities ementoring is delivered in a safe, secure environment. All staff and mentors will receive an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and will be given comprehensive training, and all students and mentors have their own unique usernames and passwords. The website is designed to automatically pick up inappropriate or abusive language, and to ensure that no personal details are exchanged. Conversations are frequently monitored and multiple levels of physical and software protection, including firewalls and encrypted communication, make it impossible for hackers to infiltrate the system.
The Realising Opportunities site also features an extensive library which includes a range of educational and entertaining articles from career profiles and study tips, to inspirational stories, fun facts and life advice. You have access to this library and are welcome to use the resources any time.
If you have any further questions regarding Realising Opportunities, please contact the Central Team:
0191 208 8923